Does the GI Bill Cover Education Expenses for Graduate School?

Does the GI Bill Cover Education Expenses for Graduate School?

The GI Bill is a government act that allows men and women enlisted in the military and veterans to seek financial help paying for college and graduate school.

Though some think that it will only cover the four or more years you spend working on a Bachelor’s degree, you can get enough money to pay for two or more years of grad school, as well.

The amount of assistance that you receive depends on the amount of time you served the country.

What is the Bill?

The GI Bill is essentially a government act that allows anyone who is a veteran or an active member of the military to seek financial help in paying for college.

You can only ask for financial help if you attend an accredited college or university. The bill may let you get money for a vocational or technical training program, too.

Some colleges now take part in a separate program called the Yellow Ribbon Program that lets you get additional funds to pay for your education costs without taking any money away from the total amount given to you by the government.

What Does it Cover?

Some people worry that the GI Bill will only cover a portion of their expenses and that they will be responsible for paying the remaining balance to the school.

The amount of money that each individual receives varies based on when that individual enlisted and how much time he or she spent in the military.

You can use the funds you receive to pay for tuition and school fees, textbooks and other supplies and other expenses relating to college. The bill also covers any costs or fees you accumulate after enrolling in a graduate school program.

How Many Classes Can You Take?

According to the United States Department of Veteran Affairs, the bill provides you with payments that you can use for tuition and other costs.

The number of payments and the amount you receive often depends on the number of classes you take. Students who take 12 credit hours or more are full time students, while those who take fewer than 12 but more than six credit hours are part time students.

Those who take fewer than six credit hours of work must pay for their classes themselves and request a reimbursement.

Where Does the Money Go?

Though you might imagine that the government cuts you a check and sends it right to your home, the majority of the money goes directly to the college, however you must show that you enrolled in an accredited program.

The government will send funds to the college to cover tuition and send a separate check to you for your textbooks.

If you request a housing allowance to cover the cost of living in a dorm room or an apartment near campus, you will receive a separate check each month to pay for your housing. Students generally get a check at the beginning of the semester for textbooks and other expenses.

The government created this act of legislature as a way to help veterans better themselves through higher education.

It provides those veterans with financial assistance to pay for college and any other expenses they might have. If you qualify for the GI Bill, you can use those funds to pay for graduate school.

Read More