Does the GI Bill Cover Licensing and Certification Expenses?

Does the GI Bill Cover Licensing and Certification Expenses?

Many veterans wonder if the GI Bill (“the bill”) covers the cost of licensing and certification, in addition to its other benefits.

It is important that those military veterans using the Bill for education and training know in advance if the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (“the VA”) will pay for the necessary credentials to help them start their career.

A Brief History of This Important Bill for U.S. GIs

The bill was signed into U.S. law in 1944, as the Servicemen’s Readjustment Act of 1944, by President Franklin D. Roosevelt, according to Our Documents.

It was designed by the American Legion to provide returning World War II veterans with a reward for service in the form of high school completion, college education, vocational training, low cost mortgages, low-interest loans to launch a business and more.

When the bill originally expired in 1956, the bill had disbursed $14.5 billion for education and training and granted 4.3 million home loans.

The bill was so successful that it was extended upon expiration and continues to receive extensions and additions to this day. The bill was so admired after World War II that Canada designed and launched a similar program for its own World War II veterans.

The G.I. Bill Continues to Adapt to Modern Life and Needs of Veterans

The GI Bill is not a static law. The needs of modern veterans are nowhere near the same as the needs of World War II veterans.

The bill currently has four major active programs for veterans.

  • Active Duty Montgomery G.I. Bill – This bill assists active duty veterans in their education and training costs through monthly benefit payments, made in cash.
  • Reserve and Guard Montgomery G.I. Bill – These benefits are allotted to military members of the Selected Reserve and the National Guard for education and training costs.
  • Vocational Rehabilitation and Education Program – Under Chapter 31 of the bill, military veterans with a VA disability rating and an employment handicap may be eligible for employment services and vocational rehabilitation to help with their success.
  • The Post-9/11 G.I. Bill – This edition of the bill offers education for service members who have served for 90 days or longer since September 10, 2001, allowing for education, monthly housing, and books and fees.

What Types of Training Are Available Under the Bill?

The bill covers several types of education and training for which veterans may need to become licensed or certified. Some of these training opportunities include several college programs and degrees, vocational and training programs, on-the-job apprenticeship training, flight training, work-study programs,

Does the Bill Cover Certification and Licensing for Veterans?

Students who want to pursue their chosen career upon completion of their college education or vocational training may need to obtain a special license of certificate of completion or achievement.

Veteran professionals like realtors, mechanics, computer network engineers, medical technicians and project managers stand to benefit greatly from holding concrete metrics of education and training achievement.

Veterans Affairs did not overlook this vital part of the process to help modern veterans achieve their post-service dreams.

The GI Bill does offer licensing and certification reimbursement for veterans.

Read More