Does the GI Bill Provide Tuition Assistance to Members of the National Guard?

Does the GI Bill Provide Tuition Assistance to Members of the National Guard?

The GI Bill is a form of tuition assistance that is designed to help veterans and active duty military servicemen pay for college.

The purpose of the bill is to help those who have fought for the freedom of U.S. citizens pursue a higher education so that they are able to become active civilians once they are discharged.

Many people who are contemplating joining a branch of the military wonder just which branches are eligible for assistance for their future education.

Each branch of the Armed Forces is eligible to receive assistance, but the state-funded incentives are based on administrative policies set by each branch.

If you are leaning towards becoming a member of the National Guard, you can receive a limited amount of assistance. Read on, and learn more about National Guard education assistance so that you know how it is administered by this branch of the Armed Forces.

What Benefits are National Guard Members Eligible For?

The amount of assistance that members of the National Guard are eligible for depends upon how long you have served, where you serve, and whether or not you have dependents.

The Bill states that anyone eligible will receive their funding in addition Federal financial aide and other state-funded grants that are awarded. The standard benefit will provide students with up to $362 per month to pay for tuition, books, supplies and more.

You must be attending an accredited college, a trade school, a professional licensing program, or an apprenticeship program for eligibility.

What Supplemental Form of Assistance is Available?

It is also possible to receive a higher amount if you qualify for supplements like the Army National Guard Kicker. This supplement to the Montgomery Bill will provide soldiers in critical jobs with an additional $350 per month for up to 3 years to pay for living expenses.

If you are a Post-9/11 recruit and have served Active Duty for more than 90 days after this time, you will be eligible to have the Post-9/11 Bill pay for 100 percent of your tuition and a stipend for books and supplies.

Can the Benefits Transfer to a Dependent?

If you are currently an active member of the National Guard and you have dependents who have eligible educational expenses, it is possible that you can have your benefit transferred to your dependent by using the Survivors’ and Dependents’ Educational Assistance transfer entitlement option.

For this to apply you will need to have at least 6 years in the armed forces and agree to serve an additional 4. You will also need to fill out the Transfer of Education Benefits through the website for the benefit to take effect.

There is a long list of benefits and financial assistance available to part-time citizen soldiers and activated guard or reserve members.

You should review the terms of eligibility for each type of assistance first, and then begin applying. Make sure that you always apply for Federal financial aide in addition to using your benefits through the National Guard.

You should also ask your financial aide department about special programs available for service members so that you do not miss free money to put towards your education. Learn about how the GI Bill can be used in conjunction with other tuition assistance, and further your education to expand your career possibilities.

Read More